Tuesday, October 25, 2011

DIY Halloween Signs


Since Halloween is upon us, I thought I would post an easy DIY ('do it yourself') whether you have a Halloween party this weekend, or just for fun!  I made these signs for random Halloween foods this weekend for a party (no, I did not come up with the --gross-- sounding ones) and I thought it went well. 

What you will need:

  • Watercolor paint
  • Palette Paper (or something to put your paints on)
  • Watercolor paper -(or something similar. I actually used a grayscale paper that worked out just as well. Just make sure it's thick.)
  • Two paint brushes: one thin and one thick.
  • Water
  • Papertowel
Clear a workspace and don't wear an outfit that you like.  You may get paint on it.

First thing to do is figure out how many signs you need to make.  When you do, take a few sheets of your paper and fold into rectangles of the size you wish.  Tear when you find the right size.  Tearing the paper instead of cutting with give you an effect of an 'old' style and a little on the creepy side, possibly.  If you want it to stand, like I have, tear long strips and fold the paper in half.  If the piece is still too long, feel free to tear to size needed.  If you want, using a stick and taping it to the back as a stand works just as good!  Just tape it when you have finished.
I used the two brushes to the left.  The bigger brush I used to wet the paper first.  You're going to want to do this step because the paint will work more smoothly.  Now take your smaller brush, put it into your water (feel free to blot on the paper towel --not too much, though--) and then dip into whatever color you wish.  It will 'bleed' depending how much water to put with your paint.  Add more water to your brush if needed and go back to it.  It you feel you want more paint, add a bit of that.  You are the artist.  You do what feels right.

 I recommend painting your words when the paper is still wet

If you don't like the way it's coming out, let it dry and go back to it later.  That is what I ended up doing.  Try different things.

I found that after you painted the letters on, let it dry just a BIT and go back with your bigger brush and brush some water by the letters. 






paints used.



Have fun with it and good luck!

No comments: